1. The base for everything we need is energy.
Good video from Energy innovation at MIT
Nuclear power and other types of innovation will provide the energy we need for steps 2.
2. The electrification of transport.Now that we have the energy, we need fast electrical transport systems, here's a example done in Shanghai.
And another one in Japan going at up to 581 KM/h. With those speeds, you can do Montréal - Québec city in around 30 minutes.
3. Water for everyone through desalinationNow that we have enough power to spare, we can now use that power to desalinate sea water and produce fresh water for agriculture and consumption. The cost of desalination could be as low as $0,50 per 1000 liters. Comparing this to one dollar for a bottle of 500ml is not that much.
Here's a good discussion on using waste heat from nuclear power station to produce fresh water from brackish or sea water or even waste water from water treatment plants.
4. Money? All of this will cost a fortune you ask?
Now we get to the cost of all this. Let us ask the question in another way.
Do we have the resources to accomplish all this. Human, material, technological, etc. This answer is simply yes. So what about the cost of building all this infrascture for 7+ billion people. Where is all this "money" coming from?
We actually do not need any money, what we need are credits emitted by a central bank. A central bank owned by the nation for which you create the infrastructure. If you have the resources to build something, then we can emit the credits for it and all the interest paid to the central bank will go back to the nation as revenue. This will create jobs, better infrastructure and will push prices of goods down, thus anti-inflationary.
- The bank of Canada did exactly this to "finance" the war effort during WWII.
- The bank of North Dakota is doing the same thing today and is the only state with no debt and a surplus of one billion for 2008/2009. Click on the link to see a video.
So what is the problem of our societies that prevents us from going forward on all those wonderful opportunities?